Tuesday, March 2, 2010

February 28th - March 6th Menu - late but still good

I'm late getting my menu posted this week. Between work and life I just haven't had a lot of time. But better late than never, right?

Sunday night was YOYO (You're On Your Own) night at our place. We had way too many leftovers for comfort so we took the opportunity to reduce them a little. I like nights like that since it means I don't have to cook much, if at all, and the cleanup is minimal.

Last night I prepared a beef roast with carrots, potatoes, onions and mushrooms. The man person had left a little of his homemade salad dressing (olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lemon, and Spike) on the counter so I poured that over the roast and vegetables before popping them in the oven. The vegetables were very good but the meat was tougher than we like so we ate a little of it and some of the vegetables and I considered what to do with the meat to make it more tender.  I decided using it in soup or stew would be an efficient way to use it so I cut the uneaten roast into bite size chunks and used about 1/4 of it and the leftover vegetables with a few more fresh veggies to make tonight's dinner which I just called 'Leftover Soup'. I discovered awhile back that stir frying the soup vegetables brings out their flavors so that's what I do. I just throw them in the wok with a little olive oil and when they're almost done I add the meat, stock, and spices, cover, and let it all simmer awhile. The result is a rich, robust soup with a nice combination of flavors. It's slightly different each time, too, since I vary the vegetables and spices. Tonight I used a little potato, a few green peas, carrot, onion, and some asparagus with rosemary, garlic, pepper, and chipotle seasoning. Mmmm, it was quite tasty and there's enough left for lunch tomorrow so we'll have that and dinner will be chicken fajitas made with leftover chicken.

The rest of the week we'll have:

Chicken in homemade Alfredo sauce served over thinly sliced and gently steamed zucchini with a salad and fresh green beans

Meat loaf with faux mashed potatoes (cauliflower) and salad

Omelets with Carbquick rolls

and Saturday will be another YOYO night to use up whatever leftovers are in the fridge. Another soup might be in the picture but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh yes, I haven't forgotten about posting the pictures of the zucchini lasagna but they're on another computer that I can't get to right now. As soon as I can, I'll get them and show them to y'all. Mmmm, that was good stuff!

Enjoy your food!

No comments: