Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Vacation plans!

I'm taking a week off starting Monday, January 18th, and am going to Austin to see my sons. To say I'm excited is an understatement, folks!

Every time I've been to Austin it's been for an event of some sort and I had precious little free time. Years ago when my daughter was living I went there a few times for training/education purposes. I stayed in hotels and spent my days at seminars and advocacy training sessions. I rode with others so didn't have a car and my evenings were spent in hotel rooms watching television. I even ate at the hotels most of the time and rarely got to see anything, though I did see Treaty Oak on one visit.

More recently I've been to Austin for my oldest son's college graduation, his wedding, and their combination anniversary/housewarming party five months ago. Each of those times I was only there for a couple of days and most of my time was spent planning, running errands, and such.

This time the entire purpose of the trip is to spend time with my kids.

Rather than fly or drive I'm going on Amtrak! I haven't been on a train in many years and have heard Amtrak can be a lot of fun so I'm giving it a shot. It's a long trip - 8 to 10 hours - so I'll take my cell phone, my iPod, my digital camera and a book or two. Hopefully I'll be able to nap on the train but we'll see.

I'm really looking forward to this trip and hope to return with pictures galore to share. Hopefully, some will be of good local fare we've consumed or something we've conjured in the kitchen. 

I'll post again before I leave and probably while I'm gone, too. ;)

1 comment:

Ella said...

Hope your having an awesome time!!!
Blessings, GG