Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fire roasted red pepper sauce!


I've had fire roasted red pepper in soups and salads but had never done a thing with them at home. Recently I found a 12 ounce jar of them on sale and bought it thinking I'd find some use for it. I hadn't though. Until tonight!

Dinner was breakfast meatballs, steamed broccoli, and a tiny baked red potato. I didn't have any homemade buttermilk ranch to put on my potato and though I often use just butter, salt, and pepper I wanted something different tonight. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with this:
 Mmmm!
Fire Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

For each potato, heat 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese until it's very smooth and spoonable. Add to the cheese whatever seasonings you like. I used a little garlic, pepper, and celery salt. To the cheese mixture add chopped fire roasted red pepper. I used about 1/2 a pepper but it definitely could have used more. Stir well and use.

I spooned the sauce onto my little baked potato and sprinkled a dash of Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning on it and it was amazing! Such a simple and easy little sauce but I think it would be good on asparagus, on green beans, or even as a dip for fresh, raw vegetables or nice little crackers.

By the way, if you haven't tried Spike, you really should. It's a blend of a lot of spices and herbs and it's great on salads, meats, in soups, etc. The claim is that Spike has no MSG but it does have hydrolyzed vegetable protein so if you're sensitive to MSG, try it with caution.

Here are the ingredients in Spike:

Salt and sea salt crystals, special high flavor yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, mellow toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy flour, celery leaf powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flower, sweet green and red peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon, rose hips, saffron, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet Hungarian paprika, celery powder, cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best Greek oregano, French sweet basil, French marjoram, French rosemary, and Spanish thyme

So, if you have a jar of fire roasted red peppers languishing somewhere, drag 'em out and create something! If you do, please let me know what you came up with as I have about 10 ounces left to use.