Saturday, October 25, 2008

Turkey Meatloaf and My Way Wings

Last night we had a dinner guest who doesn't eat chicken so we had turkey meatloaf, carrots, and green beans instead of Chicken & Biscuits. The guest seemed pleased (I didn't think to tell him the meatloaf was turkey and he had two servings of it) and so did DH.

Here's how I made the meatloaf:

1 lb ground turkey
1 tsp Knorr chicken bouillon
finely chopped onion (I use a lot but use what your family likes)
1 large egg
5 saltine crackers
freshly ground black pepper to taste
chopped garlic or garlic powder to taste

Mix all ingredients and place into a loaf pan or casserole that's been lightly oiled. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Simple and easy and very tasty.

I work tonight from 4 to 9:30 so I'm going to make dinner early. I'll have some before I go and DH can have his whenever the mood strikes him. What are we having? I'm so glad you asked. ;)

We're having chicken wings made with Country Bob's sauce and a few other choice ingredients. Along with the wings we'll have a medley of broccoli, cauliflower and sugar snap peas and leafy salad.

I really love wings but I don't like them too hot. About a year ago I came up with my own recipe for wings my way and I call it...My Way Wings. Clever, huh?

Here's the recipe:

2 lbs chicken wings (I usually mix wings and drumsticks)
Butter or olive oil or a combination of both
Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce
Hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce but some people prefer Frank's or Crystal's)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed, with juice
salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of ginger

Heat butter and/or oil on medium in a skillet or saucepan large enough to hold the wings. Rinse wings, pat dry and put them in the skillet. Turn the wings now and then so that all sides brown slightly. (I usually fry them about 10 minutes.)

While the wings are frying, turn the oven on to about 250 and mix the Country Bob's sauce, hot sauce, garlic with juice, salt, pepper, and ginger. Remove wings from pan and drain on paper towels or newspaper.

Place the wings in a baking pan and cover with the sauce mixture, turning the wings so that they're covered on all sides. Bake at 250 for about 30 minutes or until done.

Once the meat is cooked, turn the oven off and leave them in for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Sometimes I add a little Teriyaki sauce or a little Worcestershire sauce or whatever else appeals to me at the time but it seems that as long as I use this recipe for the base, the wings are always great.

These are great as part of a complete meal but are also an excellent snack while watching a Dallas Cowboys game. These wings rock...even if the Cowboys don't. At least not this year.

No comments: