Friday, October 24, 2008

Freezer Food Friday - Chicken & Biscuits

I'm very late getting this posted today because I had to be at work early this morning. At any rate, here it is, finally! Thanks to What a Crock!, the host of Freezer Food Friday. I enjoy participating and hope more of you will join us!

I absolutely love Chicken and Biscuits and although I don't eat it often it surely is comfort food for me. I've tried a lot of recipes for Chicken and Biscuits and though most turned out fine, this is one I prefer, though I admit that I make it slightly different each time because how I prepare it depends entirely on what I have on hand. This is one of those "take it and make it your own" recipes.

Chicken & Biscuits

3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (I use leftover chicken)
3 cups chicken broth (water and chicken bouillon work, too, as does vegetable broth)
5 small carrots, chopped
1/2 to 3/4 onion, chopped (I use more)
4 celery stalks, chopped (I leave this out most of the time since it gives my man person mean heartburn)
8 ounces mushrooms, fresh (canned work too)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup frozen green peas (green beans are good, also)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water (sometimes I use the juice from canned vegetables)
biscuits, uncooked (home made are great but canned work too)

Bring chicken broth to a boil and add garlic and vegetables. Simmer about 15 minutes. Add chicken and peas or beans and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Make a paste with the cornstarch and cold water and carefully add it to the chicken mixture a little at a time, stirring well. Cook and stir until similar consistency to gravy. Remove from heat and cool.

If you're going to eat it now, just pour everything into a casserole dish, top with biscuits, and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until the biscuits are light brown.

To freeze, pour into a glass casserole dish, cover with foil, place in a good freezer bag and place in freezer.

When ready to eat, thaw then place in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place raw biscuit dough or pre-made biscuits on top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until hot and biscuits are lightly browned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love chicken and biscuits. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for joining in Freezer Food Friday. Feel free to save the meme picture and use it in your posts.


MJ