Friday, October 3, 2008

Freezer Food Friday - Chunky Chili Chicken

I received this recipe in email from a local grocer. I'm not sure where they got the recipe but it's very tasty and perfect for the freezer. Most of the ingredients are things I keep on hand but if I don't have something I just leave it out or substitute.

I'll post the original recipe then freezer directions and some of my favorite variations at the end.

By the way, this is what we're having for dinner tonight with tossed salad and green beans. Tonight I'll make it with chicken breast tenderloins and it will be just scrumptious, I know.

For more freezer food ideas, visit What a Crock!

Chunky Chili Chicken

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
10 oz can whole tomatoes and green chilies, crushed
30 oz black beans, with liquid
12 oz can beer or substitute chicken broth
5 Tbs olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, chopped
1/3 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
1 cup baby corn (optional)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp cilantro leaves, minced (optional)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

In Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and saute until no longer pink, about 4 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pot and wipe pot dry. Heat remaining oil and saute onion, garlic, bell pepper and cumin seed for 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes and chilies, tomato sauce, beer or broth and salt and pepper. Add chicken back to pot. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Add beans, corn and olives. Simmer 15 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro, if desired. Serve hot topped with cheddar cheese.

To freeze this, just prepare it and freeze in airtight freezer containers without the olives and cheese. When ready to use, heat, add the olives and top with the cheese.

I've made this with meat from chicken breasts and legs and it turns out very well. It also is good using turkey. I've never made this with beer because I don't keep beer on hand. I just use broth or stock and have even used beef broth before with very good results. I also don't use the baby corn most of the time and I generally leave out the red pepper because bell peppers and the man person don't get along too well. Now and then, though, I make two batches, one without bell pepper and one with a lot of bell pepper. I've added mushrooms to this dish before with good results. It's very versatile so take it and make it your own!

As a side note, recent additions to my freezer are chili, spaghetti, baked and creamed squashed, and Jewish chicken. Yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

qoThis looks good. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Freezer Food Friday!


MJ

CookinsForMe said...

Thanks for the welcome! And this dish is excellent. If you try it, do let me know how you like it...or don't. ;)