Thursday, June 23, 2011

Update and happy anniversary/birthday to me

Almost a month ago my computer shut off and wouldn't come back on. I loved that old Mac Mini and off to the doctor I sent it. Three weeks later it was pronounced officially dead. It could have been saved but the cost of repair considering it's age seemed high so I did my research, talked to some very Mac-savvy folks, decided I wanted this computer then went out and found a good deal. It was one of the smartest moves I've made in regard to computers!

Interestingly enough, I didn't miss the computer. Not often, anyway. I missed having something to do at times but found other entertainment. I made some great meals, read more books than I have in years, watched a lot of History Channel, and spent time with friends and acquaintances. I even wrote quite a bit, something I hadn't done for way too long. I don't think most of us realize just how plugged in we are until we're no longer so plugged in. Without the computer, cell phone, television, games, and constant flow of information we often feel lonely or as though we're living in the dark ages but I'm beginning to think it's the other way around. Those things, which give the illusion of connections of some sort with other people, might actually isolate us and lead to our own personal dark age and the lack of true connections.

Speaking of dark ages, my one year anniversary is next week and my 49th birthday is not far behind. If you haven't a clue what anniversary I'm talking about, almost a year ago my life changed dramatically. I won't say it's been a fun or pleasant year but I will say it's been enlightening and, in many ways, satisfying. I have a new group of folks I enjoy spending time with whom I affectionately refer to as "the tribe", I'm going back to college soon even though I don't know just what I want to be when I grow up, and I've realized that being almost 50 doesn't mean life is over. In fact, it's just starting and as they say, better late than never.

So here's to new computers, new connections, and new endeavors. May we all have plenty of them and success with each!

No comments: