Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10th - April 16th Menu


Whew, what an interesting time the last week or so has been! Work has been particularly stressful and I've been struggling with some negative things going on but I think I finally have a handle on them. I hope so, anyway.

I've had a lot of 'thinking time' the last few months and after much consideration and research and quite a bit of discussion with people who've done it and survived, I've decided to go back to school. Retail can be difficult for the young but for us oldsters it can be downright brutal. Standing for umpteen hours a day has lost it's luster, if it ever had any, and the pay sucks and my patience with customers too often wears thin so back to college I go! I don't know yet just what classes I'll take and I need to get my transcripts from many years ago (you know, back when transcripts were put on clay tablets!) but I'm going to do this. Finally. As they say, there's no time like the present.

I've gotten back into gardening and genealogy this Spring and both are great hobbies, especially the gardening. I hope to have some lovely home grown tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and who knows what else on my menus a bit later this year! I'll try to put pictures up now and then.

In the meantime, here's my menu for the week, starting with Sunday's dinner then listed in no particular order:

California grilled chicken salad complete with feta cheese, walnuts, a few dried cranberries, and a bit of poppyseed dressing

Beef tips in low carb gravy served over roasted, mashed turnips with a hearty side salad

Vegetable beef soup, made with plannedover beef tips, gravy and turnips, and half a deli flat

Dinner out one night

Black Bean and Pepperoni Soup with a salad

Turkey bacon and a bowl of cottage cheese mixed with homemade pico de gallo and plenty of garlic

Leftovers, when whatever is in the fridge gets eaten

And that's it for this week! I have a few new recipes I've been playing with and hopefully will have at least one ready to share next week. Until then, don't forget to play with your food and join Laura and Friends at Menu Plan Monday to see what others are serving.

4 comments:

Beth said...

You will do great in school Denise. Because you're older you will be able to manage your time better than most young ones. Plus you probably have more patience now, and won't give up as quickly when something gets tough like young folk do. You will rock it!

I can't wait to see pics of your garden! Do your tomatoes or peppers have flowers or fruit yet?

Your menu looks delicious! That poppy seed dressing particularly caught my eye. Is this one you purchase, or do you make it?

CookinsForMe said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Beth. I hope you're right. :)

CookinsForMe said...

Beth, no flowers or fruit on the tomatoes yet.

I get that entire salad, dressing and all, at Target. It's Archer Farms brand, costs about $4 and makes two meals for me! However, the one I'll have this week will be homemade. It's very good;romaine lettuce, feta cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries or cherries, and that delightful dressing. Here's the dressing recipe I'll use:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/poppy-seed-dressing-ii/Detail.aspx

I made it recently and it's just as good, if not better, than the one the store uses.

CookinsForMe said...

I ended up not having the salad last night. Instead, I'll have it tonight. Last night when I got in I was too tired to eat.