Saturday, October 23, 2010

I think I hate October

I've decided that I really dislike this month. It's been crappy. Between things at work and family issues, I'm ready for November to get here. I'm tired of the heat and while I don't like cold winters I'm ready for the cool of Autumn.

On the second of this month, my stepfather fell while riding his dirt bike and got scraped up pretty good. Not a major thing, really, but he ended up with Staph infection and then developed pneumonia. I'm sure he'll be okay but it's becoming more and more obvious to me and my sisters that he and Mom are almost, if not already, at the point where they just can't take care of one another without substantial help. And we aren't sure what kind of help they need or we can provide.

It's frustrating, stressful, sad, and depressing. They love one another but his dementia is taking its toll on them both. And her health seems to be deteriorating in ways, too. I saw this coming a couple of years ago but thought I had more time and I'm not ready for this.

Maybe I need to curl up on the couch with a blanket and pillow, watch "The Notebook" again, and have a good cry. Or maybe, since it's 1:35 in the morning, I just need to take my exhausted self to bed and start all over tomorrow. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

But when I wake up it will still be October.

No comments: