Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update on my mom & my blood sugar

My mother is doing remarkably well, all things considered. She's getting around with the help of a walker and wheelchair and is even able to do some minor things around the house. Thank you for your prayers for her and for Pop. We'll see how things go with them but so far, it looks fairly good. I do hope she's able to walk well in another month or so.

My blood sugar is so much better now that I've gone back to low carb and gotten the insulin regimen a little more refined. I take 17 units of Novolin N in the morning and 15 units of the same at night and most mornings now I wake up between 80 and 95. When my feet hit the floor at about 6 AM I shoot 5 units of Novolin R and I do that again at 7 PM. I rarely need Novolog now, mainly because I generally eat fewer than 10 grams of carbs at any meal. So far this is working and I don't have middle of the night hypos anymore, either! I did a Reli-On home A1c test last week and the result wasn't good, 8.5, but the next one in May will be much better, I'm sure.

Okay, time for bed for me. I'm off work tomorrow and am taking Mom to her chiropractor and doing their shopping and errands. It will be a full day!

1 comment:

Laurie and Bill said...

It's so good to hear about your mom's improvements. So good to hear your blood sugar is settling down too!

I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs!