Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lean & mean Saturday lunch

low carb, lunch, broccoli, slaw
I'm off this weekend and plan to do some cooking for the coming week. But today I needed something light for lunch so I had broccoli slaw, half an avocado, 2 slices of deli smoked turkey, and a small amount of cheese. Okay, so if you're a carnivore like me, it's a really lean meal but I wasn't horribly hungry and since I'm focusing on keeping my blood sugar in line, lean is what I need right now. I'm also tweaking my insulins so I need to be very wary of carbohydrates. Of course, I need to do that all the time!

Ain't Diabetes grand?

The broccoli slaw is different and lends a little variety. It's also very easy to prepare. To a package of broccoli slaw mix I added a green onion, chopped, top and all, about 1/5 of a small green pepper, chopped, half a stalk of celery, chopped, some minced garlic, about 2 teaspoons of Ken's Lite Northern Italian dressing, a smidge of salt and some freshly ground black pepper, and a very light dusting of Splenda. I mixed it well, put it in a container, covered it, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. The resulting salad is savory with just a slight sweetness to it. It would be better with vegetables fresh from the garden but since that isn't an option right now, this is as good as it gets.

Blood sugar before lunch - 110
Blood sugar two hours after lunch - 102

That works for me. :)

No comments: