Sunday, September 28, 2008

This week's eats - fast and frugal

I had intentions of getting this posted and on I'm An Organizing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday early this morning but the dentist called to let me know someone had canceled and I could come right in. So, three hours, two root canals, and two temporary crowns later, I'm back and finally completing this.

My work schedule for the coming week is pretty heavy so this week's dinners are all going to be fast and frugal.

I'm off today and will bake some chicken to be used in two dishes later in the week.

Tonight's supper will be smoked turkey sausage, tossed salad, and very tasty collard greens. The recipe for the greens is at the end of this entry.

The rest of the week we'll have, in no particular order:

Chicken fajitas made with low carb Lavash bread, with plenty of pico de gallo, and tossed salad

Cheese Pancakes, one of my favorite low carb dishes, served with beef brats

Hamburger steak and onions, served with gravy, brown rice, green beans, and steamed spinach

Chicken and noodles made with some of Monday's cooked chicken and homemade low carb soy/whole wheat noodles, with a salad and steamed baby carrots

Leftovers, when we clean the fridge of meal remainders

Okay, I love greens, any kind of greens. I prefer spinach but sometimes collard, turnip, and mustard greens are considerably less expensive so I buy them when the price is right. Whether they're canned, frozen or fresh, I generally season greens with freshly ground black pepper, a little sea salt, and just a smidge of Cook's Choice Brisket Rub. And no, I don't work for Cook's Choice. I'm just a fan of their products.

Monday night's collard greens will be cooked slightly different, though. They're so good this way and this is a fast and easy way to prepare greens.

Rinse well the fresh greens, blot them dry with a clean cloth, and lay them flat in a heavy skillet which is fairly hot on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of chicken bouillon (I use Knorr's), 1/4 teaspoon of tomato bouillon (again I use Knorr's), and about 1/8 of a teaspoon of the above Brisket Rub. If you don't have brisket rub, any good barbecue rub will work. Put a lid on the skillet and simmer the greens until they're tender, just a few minutes. Remove from heat, stir the greens a little and serve immediately.

Even people who don't like greens seem to like them this way. If you try this, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Domestically Inclined said...

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are doing better after your dentist trip. It's always the worst when the shots wear off. I'll have to try some "greens" your way, it sounds good.