Thursday, September 18, 2008

A change in tonight's dinner

The man person wanted to eat at El Sombrero in Longview tonight so we did. He had two beef enchiladas, a taco, and rice and beans and I had Pollo a la Ranchera, which is a boneless chicken breast topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions in a wonderfully light spicy sauce, served with refried beans, lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado, and tortillas. It was marvelous and we each brought home about half our dinner. So, tomorrow's lunch will be leftovers from El Sombrero and it doesn't get much better than that!

I love the Pollo a la Ranchera so much I've been looking for a recipe for it. I haven't found one yet but I'm pretty sure I can duplicate the dish at home without too much work. The sauce is the one thing that might give me trouble. I believe it to be a cheese sauce of some sort but it doesn't have much of a cheese flavor to it. I think butter, chicken broth, some spices (but which ones?) and a small amount of white cheese would do the trick but experimentation will tell. I'll chronicle that little adventure here.

No comments: