Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Baked and Broiled Chicken and Vegetables

I have a day off work today and have some things I must do. One is to see my chiropractor in about an hour and another is to do laundry but the best is to cook a whole chicken to feed us for a few days. I'm going to use the counter top convection oven to bake/broil it. Using our little Black & Decker convection oven and a combination of bake and broil settings keeps the bird moist and gives the skin that crunchiness we like so well.

Here's how I cook chicken this way:

I rub the bird lightly inside and out with olive oil then season it with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, chopped garlic, and onion powder. Into the cavity I put chopped green onions, fresh cilantro, chopped turnips or potatoes, and baby carrots. I pour a little bit of water or broth into the pan, maybe a quarter cup, and set the oven on 400 broil. After the chicken has broiled for about 30 minutes, I change the setting to bake and let it bake until it's almost done, about another 20 minutes. Then I change the setting to 400 broil again and let it broil 10 minutes. The resulting bird is so juicy, tender, and savory, and the skin is just perfect.

We'll have some of the chicken tonight with the vegetables and what doesn't get eaten will be taken off the bone and used to make chicken fajitas and chicken salad, two of our favorite dishes using leftover baked chicken. We'll get at least three meals from the chicken and that's a pretty thrifty thing!

No comments: