Monday, June 30, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - Low Carb Style

So the new week has started and with it my "new" way of planning our meals. Okay, so it isn't really new since I've planned our menus for years but with a low budget and trying to focus on lower carb eating, this just wasn't easy.

Sunday's dinner was beef tips and gravy over Japonica Black rice with spinach and green beans. The carb count for what I ate was about 20 grams but it sure was good. I ate a small amount of the rice and plenty of the spinach and green beans so I didn't feel deprived. If someone could create a low carb, great tasting wild rice, I'd be eternally grateful. ;) But since it hasn't happened I'll just eat very little of the stuff. I'm taking some of the leftovers to work with me and I'll eat those during my lunch break.

Tonight we'll have roast beef and mozzarella cheese roll ups made with Joseph's Lavash bread, salad, and sugar free jello. The carb count is approximately 8 grams and that's assuming I eat two roll ups, which may very well not happen. The last time I ate that quantity of the lavash bread my blood sugar spiked and although I'm not sure the bread caused it I suspect it might have. So I'll probably eat just one roll up and plenty of salad. I might even have a low carb ice cream instead of jello.

The rest of the week's dishes are as follows, in no particular order:

Puffy Chile Relleno Casserole, faux chips made from lavash (ohh, they're so good!), pico de gallo, and guacamole. The carb count for this meal is about 8 grams.

Eggs fried in a little olive oil, broiled turkey sausage, and toasted Ezekiel bread. The carb count for this meal is 11 grams and most of it is in the bread.

Beef and Cheese Pitas, tossed salad, and sugar free pudding. The carb count for this meal is about 15 grams.

Alfredo Chicken with tossed salad and green beans. The carb count for this meal is about 7 grams.

Pizza made with lavash, homemade red sauce, turkey pastrami, mushrooms, green onion and several cheeses. The carb count for this meal is 5 grams per personal pizza.

Puffy Chile Relleno Casserole

3 7 ounce cans whole green chiles
5 tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips (I use Mission low carb tortillas or Joseph's pita)
1 pound grated cheese
1/2 teaspoon each ground black pepper, ground cumin, garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups egg substitute
3/4 cup nonfat milk (I use half and half or cream)
1 teaspoon paprika
salsa

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Remove seeds from chiles. Lay half the chiles in the pan. Top with half the tortilla strips and then half of the cheese. Sprinkle with half of the seasonings except the paprika.

Repeat another layer using remaining chiles, tortilla strips, and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining half of the seasonings except the paprika.

Beat eggs with milk, pour over casserole and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until puffy and set in the center.

Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa, guacamole, etc.

For more menu planning inspiration, check out guest host Laura's Menu Plan Monday.

No comments: