Monday, April 28, 2008

Minor change to tonight's dinner

Rather than make gravy with the broth, spices, and cornstarch, I decided to make Ray's 3 Envelope Roast then when I realized I lacked one of the four ingredients, I adapted it slightly to use what I had on hand. Oh, the resulting roast and vegetables are amazing! Ray's recipe is so good I don't know why I bother cooking a roast any other way and tonight's dinner reminded me of that! The gravy that it makes is excellent and the meat turns out tender every time. I'll take some of the leftovers to work with me tomorrow and if my coworkers are nice, I might share!

So, without further fuss, here's the recipe Ray shares with others in his PressureCookerRecipes Yahoo Group.

3 pound roast
1 envelope of dry Italian salad dressing mix (I didn't have this on hand so I used an envelope of chicken gravy mix)
1 envelope of dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope of dry brown gravy mix
Water - for a pressure cooker 1 cup water for slow cooker 1/2 cup water in a slow cooker.

In a slow cooker you can cut in half the dry ingredients if you find it overpowering. In the pressure cooker use the whole envelopes.

Put the water in a measuring cup that is larger than the amount of water you are using. Now add and mix all three envelopes of dry salad dressings. Mix until blended completely or as best you can.

Brown the roast, if desired. I brown it in the PC itself. Add the meat to your cooker. Pour the water and salad dressing mixture over the roast and cook as usual. I cooked mine tonight for 20 minutes, then used quick release, and added the vegetables and cooked another 15 minutes.

If you want to make this in a slow cooker, cook it on high for about 4 hours on low about 8 hours.

No comments: