Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Eggs confetti and chicken, rice and bean tortillas

This morning I wanted something to eat but didn't want anything very heavy. So, I got a couple of eggs ready to scramble and remembered that I had just a little bit of salad leftover from last night. There was very little lettuce in the bowl but plenty of the other salad goodies so while I scrambled the eggs in a bowl, I munched on the lettuce. I sprayed the wok with some vegetable spray, dumped the eggs in, and added the remainder of the leftover salad - halved Sweet 100 tomatoes from the garden, shredded carrot, a little mozzarella cheese, and some green onion. I blended all that well and added a small amount of smoked turkey sausage, stirring it well in the wok to get it all evenly cooked. It was great! And it was so colorful I decided to call it Eggs Confetti. So here you have it, Eggs Confetti.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And supper was something new, also. I had some leftover chicken leg quarters to use so I de-boned two of them, chopped the meat and set it aside. In a good sized casserole I put about a cup of basmati rice, 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, a can of ranch style beans, and the chopped chicken. I added some spices to it, mainly garlic and pepper with a little gourmet steak seasoning thrown in, put the lid on it and popped it in the oven. About 45 minutes later it needed more liquid and more seasoining so I added about 1/2 cup of water, and a dab each of tomato and chicken bouillon, stirred it well and put it back in the oven. When it was done, it was served with tortillas, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, and grated cheddar cheese. Everyone made their own bean, rice and chicken wrap/burritos and they were very good! This dish is definitely a keeper and it's easy on the pocketbook, too.

No comments: