Thursday, June 14, 2007

No boil meat lasagna

We got some more goodies from the garden last night and this morning. We got a zucchini, another cucumber, and another hand full of Sweet 100 tomatoes. The tops of some of the Early Girl tomatoes were mushy and since they were almost ripe, we picked them. Unfortunately, they were all mushy inside, too, so we threw them out. I'm so disappointed in the tomatoes and wish I knew what the problem was. I haven't heard back from the extension office about what might be the problem with the tomatoes but my other half was reading one of the GardenWeb.com forums and it was suggested to use fish emulsion on tomato plants such as ours. We did that a couple of days ago and then it rained so we might put a little more on them. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a try.

While out in the garden this evening we noticed a banana squash that we hadn't seen before. How we missed it, we don't know, as it's quite large! We also counted the Sugar Baby watermelons and there are 10 of them. Some of the corn is starting to look almost ready...but not quite. Tomorrow I'll get pictures of some of the goodies growing out there and will post them here.

Tonight's dinner was lasagna. I had other things planned to go with it but due to my other half's truck overheating and having to run water to him the other things didn't get prepared so we just ate lasagna. Fortunately we like it a lot but I change the ingredients every time so it's always just a little different. This time I added the leftover caramelized vegetables I made a few nights ago. That was a great addition and added a few more nutrients to the dish. Okay, not many but it used up some leftovers!

Here's the recipe I use, from the R&F Reduced Carb Lasagna Noodle box. I didn't use that brand of noodles but it's such an easy recipe and works with any kind of lasagna noodle so it's the only recipe I use.

No Boil Meat Lasagna

12 oz lasagna, uncooked
15 oz ricotta cheese (I used cottage cheese with liquid pressed out through a colander)
1/2 c parmesan cheese, grated
1 lb bulk sausage (I used ground beef and often use turkey)
52 oz pasta sauce
2 c mozzarella cheese, grated (I used 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup swiss)
2 eggs
parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan and eggs and mix well. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread 1 cup pasta sauce. Layer with half each of the uncooked lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, meat, pasta sauce and mozzarella. Repeat layering. Top with parsley. Cover tightly with foil and bake covered for 1 hour. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 9

Source: R&F Lasagna box

This makes a goodly amount of lasagna and we had half the 9 x 13 pan remaining. I put it in the freezer and we'll have it in a week or two on a hectic night when I really don't feel like cooking.

What's your favorite pasta dish and why? Share the recipe with me!

Okay, time for me to go sit outside and enjoy the company of the dog. Until tomorrow....

No comments: