Monday, June 25, 2007

Homemade chicken pot pie

I don't feel too good tonight. I'm not sure why but I feel queasy and kind of weak. There's a virus going around with high fever, nausea, etc. and I hope that's not what this is. If it is, I'll manage.

Regardless, I still had hungry folks to feed so I made homemade chicken pot pie.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ehhh, it isn't the prettiest pot pie to come from our kitchen but apparently it was good - there isn't much left! My other half made up the dough for the crust and rolled and placed it. He's very good with biscuit dough which is pretty much what the recipe uses.

Anyway, here's the recipe.

In a bowl, mix:

2-3 cups mixed vegetables (I use whatever's on hand - leftovers, garden stuff, canned, frozen, etc)
1 cup cut up chicken, raw (I use a boiled chicken leg quarter)
2 cans cream of whatever soup (I make a homemade white sauce instead and use mushroom, onion, chicken broth, whatever I have on hand)
Liquid (I use a little milk or chicken broth)

The soup/sauce mixture should be pretty wet but not soppy. It's going to be sandwiched between dough (or at least under or over dough) that will absorb some of the liquid so while you don't want it to be runny, you definitely do want it to be moist. If it turns out too moist, enjoy it with a spoon like we've done and if it turns out too dry, serve it with big glasses of milk. ;)

I use Rod's biscuit recipe (1.5 to 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup milk, 2 heaping tsp baking powder, 1/3 tsp salt - add a bit more flour if you need to) to make the crust. If you like the crust thick and fluffy like biscuits or if you just want fluffy biscuit like topping and no bottom crust, use the 2 tsp baking powder. If you want it flatter like a pie crust, leave it out or just use 1/2 a tsp. He used less than a teaspoon of baking powder tonight and said he should have reduced that further as it was still a tad too fluffy for his taste.

If you're making a pie type crust, just mix the ingredients and pat or roll the dough out to roughly the size of the pan you're going to use. Put it in the pan and gently stretch/pull it so it covers (or almost covers) the bottom of the pan. We usually make a double batch of all this and put it in a 9 x 13. Put the soup/sauce mixture on top of the crust and put another crust on top of that if you like.

Or you can put the soup/sauce mixture in first and then top with the fluffy biscuit recipe or you can dump the soup/sauce mix in an ungreased 9" pie plate and put the biscuit dough on top.

Bake 30 minutes at 400 or until golden brown.

If you try this chicken pot pie recipe, please let me know how you like it.

No comments: