Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Whole grain pancakes

but tonight is YOYO (You're On Your Own) night at our place. It's been a long and busy day and I really don't want to cook. I have a round steak thawed but rather than cook that I'll make turkey bacon, eggs and toast later and if others want some, they're welcome to it. If not, they can have a frozen mexican dinner, cereal, or whatever else they might want. Oh wait, pancakes sound good, too! Maybe I'll do eggs,turkey bacon and pancakes. Yeah, that's it... yum!

Here's my favorite pancake recipe and it doesn't spike my blood sugar as long as I eat only 2 pancakes. These taste a lot like IHOP's Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes.

3/4 cup Quaker oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped blanched almonds
3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts

Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and preheat it to medium heat.
Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine, like flour.
Combine oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl combine buttermilk, oil, egg and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, add nuts and mix well with mixer.

Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet and cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side or until brown.

Makes 8 pancakes.

What kind of pancakes do you favor and why? I'd love to see your recipes.

No comments: