Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's official...

sort of. Apparently my 11 year old diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes is incorrect. I'm actually a diabetic of some other flavor. I'm not sure of the details as I haven't talked with the endo yet but hopefully he or his nurse will call me soon and I'll learn more. My suspicion is that I have Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) and the endo should be able to confirm or refute that.  

When I talked to the GP's assistant yesterday and she told me the GAD test was positive I wasn't surprised. Disheartened and disappointed but not surprised. Today I've been pretty depressed over it. Had I known when I was first diagnosed that I wasn't a Type 2 I'd probably have been willing to start insulin much sooner and save some of the beta cell function present at the time. But I didn't know and my actions/lack of actions over the last 11 years have more than likely worn out my pancreas. That's a sobering thought as I really thought I was doing what was best for my body. Also, having LADA means my hope of someday being free of the insulin shots is nothing more than a pipe dream. Even when I get down to ideal weight, without some miracle it looks as though I'll need insulin the rest of my life.

On the other hand, there's a strange sort of relief. From what I've learned recently, the problems I've had controlling my blood sugar more than likely aren't due to being a "lazy diabetic" or being ignorant about carbohydrates and insulin. The crazy highs after eating a salad, something I used to be able to eat with no major increase in blood sugar, and the terrifying middle of the night lows, which are much scarier now that I live alone, more than likely aren't due entirely to injecting too little or too much insulin. And my exhaustion and emotional state appear to have something of a physical basis after all. There's some comfort in all that, albeit small and too late in some ways.

Since I already use insulin I'm not sure what difference, if any, this change in diagnosis will make in regard to treatment and prognosis. I don't mean to sound flippant but I strongly suspect that the major differences will be a note in my medical records and a change in diagnosis codes for insurance purposes. Whatever differences come I'll deal with them. 

In the meantime I'm plugging along, trying to eat as I know I should, faithfully injecting my insulin, testing, testing, and testing, exercising, and trying not to stress over this. 
Good thoughts are welcomed and appreciated! And if you have Diabetes, especially LADA, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: