Monday, February 1, 2010

Mary had a little lamb...with asparagus and red potato

Lamb shoulder arm chops
Okay, I don't know if Mary did but Denise and the man person sure did! We had them with steamed asparagus and red potatoes with a dab of sour cream and boy, was it delicious!

I've only eaten lamb a few times and had never participated in the cooking of it before (unless you consider watching someone else grill it participating in cooking) so this was an experience for me. I was nervous even though everything I've read said to treat it pretty much like a beef steak. No matter how much I read about cooking lamb my mind screamed, "But it isn't a big ugly cow! It's a little, wooly lamb!" I finally managed to ignore that part of mind and decided to just do it!

So what did I do? I seasoned the two chops with garlic powder, a very small amount of Cook's Choice Gourmet Steak Seasoning and a little dried rosemary from my mother's herb garden. I baked it at 325 for about 25 minutes, checking and turning it often to make sure it didn't cook too much.

The result was a savory treat that was fork tender and fit for a king. We both enjoyed the lamb and there's enough left of tonight's dinner for the man person to have a repeat for tomorrow's lunch. It just doesn't get much better than that.

If you haven't tried lamb, go ahead and give it a shot. And if you have some experience with lamb, please let me know what cut you use and how you prepare it. We'll have it once a month or so probably and it would be great to have other ideas on how to prepare it.

No comments: