Friday, January 8, 2010

The Great Thaw of 2010 - ready, set, go!

And no, I'm not talkin' about the weather.

Someone in a Yahoo Group I'm in posted that she wants to empty her freezer of the foods she bought in 2009, using the food she's already paid for and getting the freezer cleaned and ready for new stuff. I'd already been thinking about how badly our freezer needs a good going through and this shows you why:



The freezer as of January 8, 2010

Marvel at the mess! Fear the frost buildup! The freezer is an old one and I do mean old. We got it almost two years ago at a garage sale for $5 (talk about a bargain!) and when we had a repairman come work on our fridge recently he looked over the freezer and said it's a model from the 1940s!! I love vintage but vintage that doesn't defrost itself? Ehhh, not so much. But for the price, it's fantastic. I have to defrost it and clean it well every three months or so and haven't done that in about 5 months now. It's absolutely shameful and I'm going to do something about it. There's really a decent amount of food in the freezer but unfortunately it's such a disaster I can't tell you just what's in there. And it wouldn't surprise me if some of it is freezer burned now. Anyway, I told her I was in.

I found a package of thin beef roasts or thick beef steaks (not sure which but they could be either) and broiled them. We ate some with broccoli with cheese sauce for lunch and I'll use the rest of the cooked meat over the next few days. One thing I plan to make is vegetable beef soup and I'll probably do that tomorrow while I'm off. If I come up with anything different, exciting, or even remotely interesting I'll post about it and will put up pictures. Be afraid, be very afraid.

So, that's the Great Thaw of 2010. Ha! Anyone care to join me? If so, let me know and if you post about it somewhere I'd love to know the URL so I can read about what you did with that glut of frozen food!

No comments: