Friday, March 13, 2009

Low carb bento box treat

A tweet from Fredlet earlier today:

Bento Box Egg Thing:8 eggs, 1/4c cream, 1c parmesan, bacon bits, frozen spinach. Mix together; in silicone cupcake cups, bake @ 350 15mins.

I knew as soon as I saw it this was something I wanted to try and although we're sick I wanted to try it today. It's low in carbs, very quick and easy and amazingly, has no weird or hard to find ingredients. That latter feature is a real plus to me.
03-13-09 Bento box treat
Yeah, I'm anti-weird-or-hard-to-find-ingredients. I don't have silicone baking cups so I used my old metal cupcake tin and cupcake papers. I cut the recipe in half, used turkey bacon, half and half rather than cream, and used a combination of parmesan, jarlsberg, and mozzarella cheeses and the result was 6 delicious and filling little gems.
Photobucket
I can't wait to make these again for my work bento. I plan to spice the recipe up a little next time, adding chopped onion, different cheeses, and spices. I might even try making a sweet version of this.

I highly recommend these delicious low carb treats! And if you're in the market for low carb food ideas, check my ever growing list and feel free to share your favorites.

No comments: