Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday cooking

Today I did a little cooking in preparation for the coming week. I get off from work around 3 PM for the next three days and rather than deal with being tired and not wanting to cook and therefore being very tempted to eat out, I made a few things.

One of them is Corn Chip Pie, one of my all time favorite Fall/Winter dishes. It's really too high in carbs for us to have it often but I made a small pan of it and we had some for dinner tonight. The man person will probably have some for lunch tomorrow, too.

I also made Beef and Vegetable Soup just like what I made at Mom's house Wednesday except I used beef back rib bones which were inexpensive to begin with and marked down to make them a very good bargain. This is such a simple and tasty soup.

Beef and Vegetable Soup

Water
1 bay leaf
beef ribs or beef back rib bones
vegetables, chopped, raw or cooked (chopped carrots, potatoes, turnips, onions, celery, green beans, corn, fresh spinach, etc) **I use this as an opportunity to clean out the leftover veggies from the fridge**
garlic, chopped
salt, pepper, other seasoning
beef or onion bouillon (optional)

In a large pot of water and one bay leaf, boil beef ribs or beef back rib bones. When the meat is cooked and tender add the vegetables. Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for at least an hour. When vegetables are tender, add chopped garlic, salt, freshly ground pepper and any other seasonings you wish. At this point I taste the soup and if it doesn't have quite enough flavor I add a beef or onion bouillon cube or two. Cover again and let simmer another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with a salad and fresh bread for a healthy and hearty meal.

I prepared a couple more dishes but will post about them tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: