Sunday, August 31, 2008

Chile Relleno Casserole

We love TexMex food and detest waste and this evening as I dug through the refrigerator locating food that was in danger of being thrown out if it wasn't eaten quickly, I found some ground turkey, shredded cheese, green onions, and canned chiles. Makeshift TexMex was in order!

I used a recipe I'd not tried before and although it was good it didn't taste like chile rellenos to me. I think the name is a misnomer though my other half said it was a pretty good substitute for chile rellenos to him. I really do think that "Taco Casserole" would be a more fitting name for this dish, though.

Here's the recipe:

Chile Relleno Casserole

Brown 2 pounds of hamburger meat. Mix in one packet of taco seasoning. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for five minutes. Add 2 cans of chopped chiles to a casserole dish. Next add a layer of hamburger meat and then a layer of cheese. Continue layering until you run out of meat. Bake at 325 until cheese is melted and all is heated through.

In addition, I topped the dish with chopped green onions the last few minutes of cooking.

Again, I thought the dish was good but it wasn't quite what I expected. Its so tasty, quick, and easy, though, and we'll definitely have it again. And while it might not be strictly low carb, its definitely lower carb and that's a plus! Served with a salad and perhaps some black beans, it would feed a small crowd.

No comments: