Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Summer and pasta salads - they go together

With summer upon us, it's time for meals that require minimal cooking and are light and easy. Although I don't eat a lot of pasta, I really like it and enjoy it now and then. I've found that whole wheat and soy pastas spike my blood sugar less so that's what I generally use.

Over the next few days I'll post some of my favorite pasta recipes for Spring and Summer, starting with my all time favorite pasta salad, Perpetual Pasta.

The key to this being a great pasta salad is to keep the sauce refrigerated in a container with a lid and just add more cooked pasta. I use the same sauce for my garden vegetables, adding zucchini, bell peppers, cucumber, onions and tomatoes as they come from the garden. Now and then I add to the salad or to the marinated vegetable container some sliced black olives, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, or whatever else I can get at a good price. This is such a versatile recipe..make it your own!

Perpetual Pasta

Sauce:
3/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 c. sugar or other sweetener (I use Splenda and use much less than what's listed)
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed

Boil pasta to your liking, drain it, rinse it if you like and add the sauce to it. Mix well and eat warm or cold. Store in closed container in fridge.

No comments: